District Six - Pilgrim's rest
Six self-catering cottages situated high above the main street in Downtown Pilgrim's Rest, with an unimpeded view over Pilgrim's Creek. These comfortable cottages are fully equipped for self catering and are serviced daily. Facilities include microwave oven, air-conditioning, DSTV and outside braai. Two of the cottages sleep 6 people in 3 separate bedrooms. The other four cottages each have 2 bedrooms, sleeping a total of 4 people per cottage.

In the 1840's the world wile gripped with gold fever, when large quantities of this precious metal were discovered in California. These early finds stimulated the search for gold in other countries. The history of the Mpumalanga gold fields date back to ancient times, when unknown miners worked the quartz reefs for gold. Traces of their mining activities can still be fo1.U1d all over the Northern Province and Zimbabwe. A series of minor gold deposits were fo1.U1d in the northern parts of southern Africa between 1840 and the early 1870's. The first gold rush in South Africa took place in February 1873 when payable gold was discovered by McLachlan, Parsons and Valentine on the farm Geelhoutboom. President Burgers visited the fields, named the digger's camp Mac Mac and declared the area the New Caledonia Gold Fields. One of the Mac Mac diggers, Alec 'wheelbarrow' Patterson, left the area to prospect further a field. Patterson found rich gold deposits in the Pilgrim's Creek.

  

 
 
 
 
 
Contact
Tel (013) 767 1377

panorama@global.co.za